Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Review:Eighth Grade Bites by Heather Brewer

Review:Eighth Grade Bites by Heather Brewer
Note:Not Edited

Alright, there is a story to go along with this book before the review so bare with me here. I go to my local Barnes and Noble to pick up "Chosen" by Pc Cast and Kristin Cast-which I already reviewed. And there in the new books section is this book with a cute little smiley face with fangs on it. Now, the cover was enough for me to buy it and the plot sounded ok. Wasn't really expecting much from it because well, I hadn't heard about it and usually teen vampire books don't fall through the cracks that are my researching. I was almost kinda mad at myself that I hadn't heard about this book before.
So after I finished reading "Vampire Dreams" I picked it up and read the 1st 2 chapters, which where good. I mean the 1st 2 chapters in a book are never amazing. Later on that night I was ready to go to bed and I picked it back up and started reading. I had the books finished in 90 minutes.
.........................there aren't enough words to describe how much I love this book.............

Here-I'll give you my reason why. There's a nice teenage kid-Vlad. He doesn't have many friends. He has to deal with being a vampire(well 1/2 vampire so he doesn't really no where his powers begin and end). His parents are both dead and he lives with his nonvampire Aunt-who I like and dislike at the same time. He also has to deal with the disappearance of his teacher and that teachers new substitute-Mr Otis. I won't give any spoilers away so I can't mention my favorite moment in the book or it might ruin it for you. But here are some things I can remember off the top of my head that I was like wow.
-Vlad is looking at picture of his mom and dad. for some reason this hit me really hard. He may be a vampire but he was still a 13 year old kid who misses his mommy and daddy.
-He is talking to his Aunt Nelly and she tells him a story about how her father shot the family dog because it was sick and that she never thought of him the same way again. This is why I don't like Aunt. The kids 13-let him believe his daddy was a vampire hero. No need to bring down the boys vision of his dead father-not nice, Nelly, not nice.

As I said, I can't mention my favorite moment..........but the reason I liked this book so much is while it is a vampire book it was more human then most books about all humans, if you catch my drift. Here is a kid who is a vampire. He deals with having only 1 friend, being bullied, not knowing how to talk to his crush and having dead parents. His problems are mostly things that everyday kids deal with

the only thing I didn't like about this book was it was a little short. Not even that it was short, but it seemed like Act 1 of a play thats 5 acts long. But there is a sequel coming out a I believe and I am very excited about it. I am really interested in seeing where Vlad ends up. I want to see like "Twelth Grade Sucks" or something, I want to see how this all ends for him. I also want to see how this all pans out with this little girlfriend he has, nothing cuter than a shy vampire boy.

I more than likely won't get to review Ninth Grade Slays until after it's release, although I would LOVE to. I recommend this book to anyone, especially boys interested in vampires-which sometimes Ithink the market is lacking right now. I will review Ninth Grade Slays after it's release though-going to look out the release date on it now.

No comments: